Friday, July 19, 2013

Closing Into The Finish Line



Where should I begin? Hmm...well, things just got fast and furious again, but I am more than READY! Let me just cut to the chase!! I could go through the fun details of recovery from my last round of chemo, but I decided to spare you the details (same stuff...different day/week) and get to the good stuff!! 

Yesterday was a big day for me. I went in for lab work which was basically going to give my oncologist a snapshot of whether or not my body will be ready for surgery. According to my oncologist my blood work came back "GREAT!" My white blood cell count was high, and my hemoglobin bumped up 1 point. Last visit I was at a 9, and yesterday I was at a 10.7!! Jumping up one point is a big deal….1 point equals 1 pint of blood!! I am bouncing back-YES!!! She gave me the go and said my body will be more than ready. Family and friends, my surgery is set for Wednesday August 7th. I check in at 7:30 AM to St. David's Hospital on 32nd street. I am having a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. Surgery will last 4-5 hours, and I will be in the hospital 1-2 nights. The recovery doesn't sound fun, but after yesterday's news AND after my experience with chemo, I have the attitude of "I GOT THIS!"

Okay, so here is the biggie...the part of my visit that jolted me with a new attitude and energy. I asked my oncologist when I was officially in remission. She explained remission, and said "Clarissa, you will be in remission on August 7th.Basically, when they roll me out of the operating room, REMISSION BEGINS!! I have declared August 7th my second birthday :). I can't believe the day is so close!! I walked into Texas Oncology with the same face-no expression and reminded..."Oh yeah..I almost forgot--I have cancer-grr," BUT I walked out of Texas Oncology with so much weight off my shoulders and felt a whole new energy! Energy I have not felt since before my diagnosis. I didn't know whether I should cry...jump up and down...fist pump?! Instead, I walked away with a big smile on my face and let the news sink in...In two weeks, I will be on the road to remission. Thank you God the day is almost here!!!

I drove away and ran my unforeseen journey over and over in my head. It is hard to believe that in a matter of 5 months so much took place to bring me where I am at today. I was able to share the news with colleagues at work, and it was during this time the news from my appointment really hit home (and yes--I shed some tears). It became very real that I am "here." The place that seemed so out of reach on February 5th.  It was kinda like my last day of chemo...I didn't realize how emotional it would make me. Yesterday, the emotions were similar only I had more happy tears and a boost of confidence. 

Last night Travis and I went to our favorite spot, Matt's El Rancho, to celebrate the news. We picked a good night because mariachis were playing. As some of you know, I absolutely LOVE mariachis!! I believe they should be a part of any pachanga. It is music for my soul!! I am convinced God threw in a special request because just a few minutes after sitting in the restaurant they began to play Las mananitas. How appropriate with my "second birthday" coming up ;)!! It warmed my heart, and it made me miss my family. In case you don't know the song...

August 7th still scares me, and it still makes me nervous, but my feelings of confidence and strength outweighs the others. My recovery from surgery will not be fun either, but at this point I feel like I am past the hardest part. Chemo was NO joke!

Over the next couple of weeks, I am doing my best to stay healthy and strong. Earlier in the week I was so excited to jog 3 miles! I took 2 short walk breaks, but that was the most I've been able to run since beginning of May!! I have a big day coming up, so I have to detox and prepare myself physically and mentally. I will also be able to attend my brother's wedding. I was not sure whether or not I could go due to surgery, but thanks be to God it all worked out! I will get to spend quality time with family before the big day. 

As always, I thank each of you for the outpour of support you have not only given me, but to Travis and my family. I ask for your continued prayers and thoughts as I enter into this next phase. I will send out another blog before my second birthday...August 7th :)

I leave you with one of my favorite songs. I love it, and it makes me happy! And--I think I will have to listen to it the morning of the "big day."
http://youtu.be/CJTTmSYIcyU

Much love to you,

Clari
"All women can do wonders if they're put to the test." -Wonder Woman 

No comments:

Post a Comment